Apr 10, 2020
Prepare for a career in the legal profession with SAIT’s Legal Assistant diploma. Discover how to be an integral part of a legal practice with highly specialized legal administrative skills. In this practical two-year diploma, your instructors are lawyers and former legal assistants who show you how to assist your lawyer with important tasks on various files. Using industry software on your SAIT-issued laptop, you develop accurate keyboarding and transcription skills - and adapt your strong command of English spelling and grammar to effectively prepare various legal documents.
In your substantive courses, you master relevant terminology for corporate law, real estate law, family law, criminal law and more. You practice legal assistant tasks such as preparing a separation agreement, a criminal law file and a corporate minute book. In your capstone course, you simulate a real law office to integrate all your legal assistant knowledge. At the end of the program, you demonstrate your professionalism and expertise to potential employers in your one month practicum placement. You graduate as a skilled legal assistant and highly employable in law firms and the court system.
- Two-year diploma
- Fall start
- Laptop-based program using SAIT-issued laptops
- Includes a four-week unpaid practicum placement
- Limited number of courses available through Continuing Education
You can become a legal assistant, junior paralegal, judicial clerk or another legal support role. You can find work in law firms, the court system, registries, and with businesses such as oil and gas corporations.
To be successful in this program, you should:
- Attend and actively participate in class
- Spend six hours per week on each course, outside of regular class time
- Have a strong command of the English language along with a solid foundation in writing skills and vocabulary, which will be further developed in the program
- Have good organizational skills and attention to detail, which are necessary in the program and as a Legal Assistant
- Have strong computer skills and a keyboarding speed of 30 words per minute (strongly recommended)
- Be prepared to work in teams
- Become familiar with and adhere to SAIT’s academic policies
If you are engaged in campus life and take advantage of SAIT support services, you may have a greater chance of success in SAIT’s programs.
Credentials and Accreditation
Upon successful completion of the program, graduates will receive a SAIT Legal Assistant diploma.
Students must attain a PGPA and/or a CGPA of 2.0 or better in each semester and pass the necessary prerequisite courses to progress through the program. To qualify for graduation, students must pass all courses, attain a CGPA of 2.0 or better and complete course requirements within the prescribed timelines.
At least 50% in the following courses or equivalents:
- English Language Arts 30-1 or English Language Arts 30-2, AND,
- Math 10C or Math 20-3 or Applied Math 10 or Pure Math 10.
- All applicants must demonstrate English Language Proficiency prior to admission, including students educated in Canada.