A one-of-a-kind educational experience in Canada, the Butchery and Charcuterie Management certificate will provide you with comprehensive theoretical and practical knowledge in meat science, processing and management - all required for entry into this rapidly growing trade.
At SAIT, we continue to set the standard for excellence in culinary education. The Butchery and Charcuterie Management program is another example of training based on what employers are looking for, and preparing our students for success in the global hospitality industry.
During this full-time one year certificate program, you will work in state-of-the-art facilities as you gain practical skills in value-added butchery, carcass identification and breaking, sanitation and much more. Specific to charcuterie, you will learn extensive curing and product creation methods for salamis, sausages, prosciutto, cured and smoked products along with a host of other proteins. We focus on sustainability and help you understand where the product came from, how to process it and how to get the most value from it.
By preparing proteins for our dynamic Market Place at SAIT and the new student-run butcher shop, you will also learn how to properly cut and present proteins, as well as gain skills in customer service and business management.
Students must attain a PGPA and/or a CGPA of 2.0 or better in each semester and pass the necessary prerequisite courses to progress through the program. To qualify for graduation, students must pass all courses, attain a CGPA of 2.0 or better and complete course requirements within the prescribed timelines.
You will be prepared for a diverse range of career options in butchery and charcuterie after graduation. You may find work locally or abroad as a(n):
- In-store Meat Cutter
- Owner/ Operator
- Meat Inspector
- This program is very hands-on with students spending approximately 25 hours per week in our labs.
- The retail meat industry is a fast-paced, dynamic environment with a focus on customer service and quality of food.
- You must be in good physical condition for this physically demanding trade.
- You will be required to groom and dress according to industry expectations while in your practical training.
- The material is presented at a fairly rapid rate. For the greatest level of success you must be present and take responsibility for your learning experience.
- You must be able to read, write and comprehend the English language at a level exceeding basic conversational English.
After successfully completing this program, graduates will receive a SAIT Polytechnic certificate in Butchery and Charcuterie Management.
There are no formal accreditation arrangements at this time. Please contact the School of Hospitality and Tourism for more information.