Oct 22, 2021
In our interconnected world, strong, resilient and scalable computer networks are critical to industry success. Through classroom training and practical application, this program will help you develop skills and competencies in computer network design, maintenance and support, to get you career-ready as a network systems specialist.
During this intensive 32-week certificate, you will learn from leading-edge courses in cloud and server administration, virtualized infrastructure, and Linux administration. You’ll also become a member of the Cisco Networking Academy to specialize in computer networking, troubleshooting and security.
As a result of the practical focus of this program, you will gain valuable experience solving technical problems and providing solutions that are on-time and within scope. This experience is further bolstered by a mandatory 8-week practicum that completes the program, preparing you a successful career in the information technology (IT) field.
- Fall and Spring intakes
- 32-week fast-track certificate
Graduates of this program may find employment as network systems specialists, network support analysts, IT consultants, network support specialists, or in a variety of related careers in the IT field. Employment opportunities exist in public, private, and community-based organizations and businesses.
This is an intensive program requiring a significant commitment of time and energy. Students who are succesful in this program typically:
- Have higher secondary and/or post-secondary grades
- Make their education a priority (including engaging in consistent self-study throughout the program)
- Have experience with computer hardware and/or operating and networking systems (an asset, but not required)
Upon successful completion of this program, graduates will be awarded a SAIT Network Systems Specialist certificate.
Professional Designations and Certifications
Graduates of this program will be well equipped to challenge the Cisco Certified Network Administrator (CCNA) exams.
With additional work experience and exam preparation, graduates may also become prepared to challenge other relevant industry exams, including the CompTIA A+ and VMWare certifications.
The progression requirement for students taking credit courses is a Term GPA and Total Institutional GPA of 2.0, with the exception of English Language Foundations and Academic Upgrading programs.
- A minimum grade of 60% in English Language Arts 30-1 or 30-2 or equivalent, or,
- A minimum of two years post-secondary education from a recognized university, institute, or college
All applicants must demonstrate English Language Proficiency, including students educated in Canada.
Due to the tight integration of the courses in the Network Systems Specialist program, credit for prior learning is not available.
- Communicate effectively with clients and end users about technical design, constraints, and implementation
- Analyze business needs to provide an appropriate network design
- Demonstrate technical competency in designing and building network solutions
- Configure and manage virtualized server and storage systems
- Employ appropriate tools and equipment to manage a network environment
- Secure networks through the correct selection of hardware and software configurations
- Display effective configuration skills in client, server, and network technologies
- Conduct effective presentations linking technical solutions to business needs
- Demonstrate professionalism, teamwork, and effective communications skills to meet industry expectations.
- Apply job search and employment skills for career development
- Demonstrate problem solving and troubleshooting skills in all aspects of network management
- Develop appropriate documentation as required for network projects