Mar 02, 2024
Start your career in computer programming with hands-on, applied education in full-stack software development. Computer software engineering and development is an in-demand and growing field where you will play a vital role.
Learn from experienced instructors about leading-edge technology and processes to develop computer software, databases and applications in various computer languages. You’ll gain skills and knowledge in software analysis and design, object-oriented programming, web development, database design and programming, software testing, security and deployment, so you drive business value. You will also learn how to support an organization’s applications, websites and data platforms.
Demand for a range of IT professionals will continue as the growth of the IT sector creates more opportunities. Position yourself for a rewarding career supporting critical business operations in the dynamic and ever-evolving tech sector.
- This program includes an optional work term between year one and year two. The work placement includes full-time paid employment with a member of industry
- This program is geared towards hands-on learners with competence in critical thinking and problem solving. Though prior experience is not required, a passion for the IT sector is critical to academic and professional success
All courses must be completed within the program completion timeframe. Please be advised that for the purpose of student loans, full-time student status requires that learners are enrolled in a minimum of 60% of a full course load per semester.
As computer software applications are integral to almost all industry types, graduates may find employment in many professional sectors. Potential roles include but are not limited to:
- Software developer
- Software quality assurance analyst
- Junior developer
- Full-stack developer
- Junior programmer
- Junior software developer
- Software tester
- Technical writer
- Front-end web developer
- Full-stack web developer
Upon accumulating additional experience and certifications within professional settings, graduates may progress into more advanced roles within their organizations.
Students who experience success in this program and profession:
- Have higher secondary and/or post-secondary grades
- Possess effective interpersonal and communication skills, including in technical writing
- Are committed to the significant self-study required alongside the classroom learning
- Are detail oriented and employ critical thinking in practice
- Possess basic computer literacies, including the ability to use word processing and communication software (a working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite is an asset)
- Are team players with a service mindset, and able to remain calm in the face of pressure
- Are self-motivated, embrace lifelong learning, and genuinely passionate about the IT sector
Upon successful completion of this program, graduates will be awarded a SAIT Software Development diploma.
The progression requirement for students taking credit courses is a Term GPA and Total Institutional GPA of 2.0, with the exception of English Language Foundations and Academic Upgrading programs.
Completion of the following courses or their equivalents, including meeting the minimum grade requirements for each as indicated:
- 50% in Math 30-1, or, 60% in Math 30-2
- 55% in English Language Arts 30-1, or, 60% in English Language Arts 30-2
All applicants must demonstrate English Language Proficiency prior to admission, including students educated in Canada.
Co-op Work Term (Optional)
- Business Communication: Demonstrate the professional written, verbal, and technical communication skills required to succeed within a development lifecycle
- Professional Acumen and Work Ethic: Demonstrate professionalism, social and ethical awareness
- Project Management: Apply recognized project management frameworks and best practices as a member of a project team
- Business Foundations: Explain the integral role of the software developer in managing business processes
- Client Experience: Exemplify a service mindset with a focus on client satisfaction and the ability to problem solve with the customer needs in mind
- Solution Design: Demonstrate knowledge of the software development lifecycle in designing, modelling, testing and implementing software solutions
- Solution Development: Develop secure, user-centric software solutions by incorporating user requirements
- Software Architecture: Recognize software architectures, design patterns and frameworks, and emerging technologies when developing software solutions
- IT Infrastructure: Understand the basics of software development platforms, operating systems and cloud-based infrastructure