Take exceptional instructors with backgrounds in traditional and contemporary baking and pastry arts from around the world, add state-of-the-art training facilities and a progressive curriculum, and you get the top Baking and Pastry Arts program in Canada.
If you have baked all of your life, have an artistic flair and are interested in creating magic with elegant dessert showpieces, we can help take your passion to the next level. A career in baking and pastry arts will have you balancing exact measurements and chemistry on one hand, while using your imagination and creativity to develop exciting new recipes on the other.
In an industry experiencing high demand, graduates from SAIT’s Baking and Pastry Arts program are well prepared for a diverse range of career options after graduation. In this technical discipline, the craft of pastry is teamed with the art of baking, sugar artistry and fine artisanal chocolate production.
At SAIT, we focus on your success through a personalized approach, small class sizes, plenty of hands-on training and exciting new facility upgrades. Our labs are state-of-the-art and include a specialized chocolate lab and downtown Culinary Campus.
During this full-time two year diploma program, you will be trained in baking fundamentals and advanced baking practices. The program covers yeast goods, artisan breads, pastries, sugar artistry, chocolate, special occasion and wedding cakes, flans, tortes and much more. You will also learn important management skills on food regulations, customer service, costing, pricing, merchandising and starting your own business.
Hands-on, production environment
Our main goal is to prepare you for the real world in a hands-on, production-style environment. Over your two-year education, you will receive about 1,400 practical training hours in the bakery labs. You’ll learn step-by-step tactics and come away knowing best practices, as well as practical strategies to implement in the real world. You will also have the chance to feature your talents by baking bread and pastry products to sell in our gourmet retail food outlets including the renowned Highwood restaurant, the Market Place and the downtown Culinary Campus.
Learn from top instructors from around the world
In addition to learning the science of baking, our instructors will also inspire your creativity. The highly distinguished instructors in the Baking and Pastry Arts program are truly second to none. Their diverse backgrounds and specialties range from executive pastry chefs from top hotels in New York, Hawaii and Bermuda, to local, entrepreneurial bakers.
Professional paid internship and study tours
Between your first and second year of study, you will get to apply your skills in a professional paid internship. In addition to gaining experience in a real-world environment, internships provide valuable connections and opportunities to network with future employers.
As a student, you can also take advantage of exciting international study tours. Previous tour locations have included France, Australia, Thailand, Germany, Spain and Portugal.
Work toward becoming a certified journeyman baker
Students who successfully complete the baking diploma can choose to write the journeyman baker exam. To become a certified journeyman baker, students must complete additional required employment hours.
1. Technical Skills - Demonstrate technical competency in a variety of production-based environments in baking and pastry.
2. Baking Techniques - Create high-quality yeast goods and pastry products using skills, techniques and artistry.
3. Recipe Creation - Create recipes to meet client preferences and dietary restrictions.
4. Food and Beverage Foundation - Apply foundational food and beverage knowledge.
5. Equipment Safety - Operate and maintain equipment efficiently and safely.
6. Health and Safety Regulation - Adhere to current health and safety regulations for the baking and pastry industry.
7. Culinary Management - Demonstrate competency in culinary management.
8. Financial Foundation - Apply financial tools and principles to product costing and viable day-to-day culinary operations.
9. Brand Development - Demonstrate social media competency to build personal and professional brand.
10. Culinary Operation Foundation - Apply foundational knowledge in sustainability as it relates to culinary operations.
11. Professional Communication - Adapt professional behaviour and respectfully communicate with people of diverse backgrounds and points of view.
12. Customer Service - Demonstrate a hospitality mindset with a focus on guest experience and problem solving with the guest needs in mind.
13. Client Experience - Support a healthy lifestyle by adopting effective strategies to balance demanding industry needs with personal values and priorities.